Star Fruit Upside-Down Cake
Recipe provided by love & olive oil
Turn the notion of pineapple upside-down cake, well, upside-down. This unique version features star fruit, which makes for a gorgeous presentation and tropical flavor. You can also substitute mango, kiwi or any other firm-flesh tropical fruit.
Created for the Flower Cocotte
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons almond meal or finely ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- 1 star fruit, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices until evenly incorporated. Set aside.
In the flower cocotte, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar and then rum, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat. Arrange star fruit slices in a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together room temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add egg and mix well to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix in vanilla and almond extract.
With the mixer on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients, followed by half of the milk, then the remaining dry ingredients. Add the remaining milk and mix just until combined. Carefully pour into the cocotte, taking care not to disturb the star fruit.
Bake about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes. Carefully invert onto a serving platter (use silicone oven mitts if you have them; they will make this job much easier). Slice and serve while still warm.
love & olive oil