Chicken Rolls, Spanish Style
Prepared in the 3 qt. covered square casserole
This is an easy dish to pull together for a weekday meal, or you could double the recipe and serve it to company. Top the chicken rolls with our recipe for Homemade Tomato Sauce, or serve over sauteed vegetables of your choice. Ingredients:
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 thin slices Serrano ham, prosciutto or deli-smoked ham
- 4 thin slices Manchego, Parmesan or Gruyere cheese
- Leaves from 4 sprigs of tarragon or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium Spanish onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 1/4 cup dry Spanish sherry
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Flatten the chicken breast halves with light strokes of a meat-pounder or a heavy rolling pin. Place a slice of ham and cheese on each chicken piece. Top each with 1/4 of the chosen herb. Roll up and tie with kitchen twine, or secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle rolls with salt and pepper.
Place the onion slices in the baking dish. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over them and toss with your hands. Place the dish in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. (You could do this first and then prepare the chicken.)
Stir the onions with the chicken rolls. Drizzle evenly with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Cover the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
Uncover the dish and drizzle the sherry over the contents. Continue baking the chicken, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
After baking, you may lightly brown the chicken by searing it in a pan. Fill the baking dish with sauteed vegetables and return the chicken to the dish, or top it with Homemade Tomato Sauce.
3 QT. Covered Square Casserole
Region or Country