Braised Lamb Shanks with Orzo
Created for the 5 qt. Braiser
Serves 4Lamb shanks ingredients:
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Flour for dusting
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 medium onion, large dice
- 1 medium carrot, large dice
- 1 - 2 celery stalks, large dice
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato puree, thinned with water
- 2 cups veal or lamb stock
- 1 rosemary sprig, trimmed and chopped
- 2 oregano sprigs, trimmed and chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, trimmed and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Lamb shanks directions:
- 1/2 pound orzo
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
Preaheat oven to 300°F.
Season the lamb shanks with salt and black pepper. Lightly dredge in the flour.
Lightly coat the braiser with the olive oil and sear the meat on all sides until caramelized or rich brown in color. Remove to a plate.
Add the mirepoix (carrots, onions and celery) and whole garlic cloves to the braiser and lightly brown for about 2 minutes over medium heat. Add the rosemary, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg.
Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Deglaze with the red wine and reduce by two-thirds.
Add stock and return the lamb shanks to the braiser. Make sure liquid covers 3/4 of the lamb. Cover with the lid and braise in a 300°F oven for 2 hours, or until meat is very tender and ready to fall off the bone. If necessary, add liquid to keep meat moist and covered half-way.
When meat is tender, remove and keep hot. Strain the braising liquid and reduce or thin, whichever is necessary to achieve a nappe consistency (when it coats the back of a spoon).
Place back into the braiser, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve shanks with a generous side of the prepared orzo pasta.Orzo directions:
Bring water and salt to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until al dente or tender. Drain well.
Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the orzo, lemon zest and pepper. Toss until hot. Add the dill and toss well.
5 qt. Braiser